Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Big Changes

Its looking like there is changes underway in Fredericton. Recently Anti Bullying Day was celebrated by thousands on December.17, and there is a new Bill C-389 is under votes to become an actual bill. C-389 is a bill that will protect transgendered individuals from harassment. The founder of Bullying Canada is fighting for anti-homophobic bullying to be ended, along with other types of bullying to be ended. These are just two examples of positive actions in Fredericton.

However, there is still along ways to go. The fact that we are in the 21st century and there is no protection for transgendered individuals is actually a shock. Transgendered youth have some of the highest rates of suicide and transgendered individuals are more likely to be discriminated against. I recall in high school a group of fellow students poking fun at a neighbor because their neighbor had undergone a sex change.

These new changes are highly promising though. These changes mean that LGBT might not be discriminated against. In the words of a fellow Frederictonian gender queer are "more likely to be given less opportunities, weaker jobs, and are more likely to be poor". These words are true, but they are also true for gays and Lesbians. With Anti Bullying day rights of LGBT and gender Queer are shown to people of a younger age, which will eventually lead to less harassment. Does this mean that people are more likely to accept us? I hope so, I truly do.

My vision for the future means a future where my future children will not be harassed for having two moms like I was. My future vision is future where my friends will not be bullied for using a washroom. My future will involve a world where LGBT are not executed or deported. My future will mean that the prime time Television shows will include shows like the L Word. Is this future possible? Yes it is.


1 comment: